General Practice Orientation Day
Sub-deanery Pilot 2020-2021
Overall duration: 3 hours (one session):
-1hr self- directed learning
-2 hrs online event
Monday 12/10/20 PM
Monday 16/11/20 PM
Monday 4/1/2021 PM
Monday 8/2/2021 PM
- Introduction to Primary care and the GP clinical placement
- The organisation of Primary care and its place in the overall health system
- Inter-professional Case based learning on Patient safety, safeguarding, consultations skills and Interprofessional collaboration
Mode of delivery:
-ZOOM (can be converted to FTF depending on evaluation, number of students and guidelines on physical distancing)
- Event for all undergraduate students (medical, nursing, other HC professionals) and any Health Care Professional who recently joint the Primary Health Care Team and are based in the SWF and NBF area at the time of the event
- Medical students: Fourth and Fifth years (YR 1 and 2 Clinical skills and Family Attachments students excluded)
- Booking via Sub-deanery website
- After registering participants will receive an acceptance email which will explain they are expected to read and watch specified resources for students on the sub-deanery website before attending. There will be a self-declaration form attached to the acceptance email stating they have done this.
- Every participant will get a subject to prepare for session 2.
- Consent form for recording the session and sharing on the sub-deanery website as well as sharing their ‘slide’ (session 2) to be attached and returned.
-What makes working in primary care rewarding?
-How is Primary care organised?
-Can teamwork be taught?
Pre-course self-directed learning:
Prepare 1 to 2 slides as directed
Watch Videos on:
Session1: Introduction to Primary care and the GP clinical placement. WEBINAR
Duration: 30 minutes
Facilitated discussion between 2 to 3 tutors/Primary Health Care Professionals discussing the merits and challenges working in Primary care and the GP clinical placements. Students to ‘live feed’ questions which will form part of the discussion
-Why did you become a GP or choose to work in primary care?
-What do you enjoy most of working in Primary care?
-What and how can students learn when working in a primary care setting?
-What are the challenges of getting a worthwhile learning experience during COVID19?
Session 2: Primary care and its place in the overall health system
Duration: 30 minutes
Each student to prepare and present one slide (1 to 2 minute each)
-Independent contractor status of GP
-The GP Federations (who are they and what do they do)
-professional bodies like BMA (LMC and GPC), RCN etc. (who are they and what do they do)
-the Primary care team (who makes up the team)
-the organisation of patient flow and the role of the admin team (how are ‘appointments’ made and what are the different systems used)
-different ways of consulting (FTF, telephone and video)
-prescribing safely in primary care
-Chronic disease management and QoF
-communication between primary and secondary care
-population health (what is it and why is it linked with primary care)
Session 3: Inter-professional Case based learning on Patient safety, safeguarding, consultations skills and Interprofessional collaboration
Duration: 30 minutes
Participants divided into pairs and set up in a breakout ZOOM room
30 Minute conversation with fellow participant (who is preferably from another health care discipline)
Why did they choose their profession?
What is it they like about it?
What do they think the challenges are working in primary care personally and for their profession?
How do they feel good team work can be achieved?
- Case Based discussion on one of the following subjects: patient safety, safeguarding, consultation skills or interprofessional collaboration
Duration: 10 minutes
Feedback from event overall:
Did it meet your expectations?
Was there anything you really enjoyed?
Was there anything you really felt helpful?
Was the format well chosen?
What can be done better next time?
Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.